The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, March 24, 2023

Review: North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both

North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both

North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both by Cea Sunrise Person
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Another very difficult book to read. To be honest, I would not have read it past page 20 except that this is our next book club selection. Cea's memoir starts out when she is 2 1/2 years old. She lived with her extended family in California and Canadian wilderness. There was no running water, electricity or heat in the tipi, and no regular income for the family. Her mother had a series of different boyfriends, and Cea saw everything going on in the family -- drug use/abuse/addiction, mental illness, nudity, neglect, child sexual assault, and emotional/psychological abuse. Somehow she escaped from this downward spiral and made a modeling career for herself. Overall, it was a shocking and somewhat depressing memoir, but I'm glad that she was able to pull herself out of her family's grips and find happiness and success in her life. 

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...