The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, April 28, 2023

Book Review: Gratitude by Oliver Sacks

Gratitude

Gratitude by Oliver Sacks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a very quick read - just four short essays written towards the very end of his life.  However, it gave me a lot to think about.  The essays talk about aging, terminal illness, facing death, and embracing life.  Overall, very inspirational.  It was recommended in Julianna Margulies' memoir, Sunshine Girl, as an inspiration for her to practice gratitude. 

“My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved. I have been given much and I have given something in return. Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.”
—Oliver Sacks

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...