The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Saturday, June 24, 2023

Book Review: 23 Hours to Midnight by James Patterson (Women's Murder Club #23)

23 Hours to Midnight

23 Hours to Midnight by James Patterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have read all of the books in the Women's Murder Club series, and have to admit that I have been disappointed with the recent ones.  However, in my opinion this was a definite improvement.  The story lines were cohesive, each character played an important role, and most importantly it kept me on the end of my seat, turning the pages.  I finished it within 24 hours which is very unusual for me. 

Content warning and a little spoiler -- There is a lot of violent, unsettling deaths and situations in this book.  Lindsay's life is put in the direct line of fire in the conclusion, and there are hints that Lindsay wants to step back from being a detective or to retire.  She is continually thinking about her husband Joe and daughter Julie.  I wouldn't be surprised if her detective colleague, Sonia Alvarez, takes a more prominent role in upcoming books.  

I'm still not sure what the title refers to - "23 Hours to Midnight."  Anybody know??

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...