The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Book Review: This Is Happiness by Niall Williams

This Is Happiness This Is Happiness by Niall Williams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a book club selection, and I had the toughest time trying to get into the book.  My husband recommended that I read a little slower, taking in the language, the setting and the characters, rather than trying to speed through reading like I usually do.  He also suggested that I listen to the audio instead of reading the print book.  A genius suggestion!  It was read by Dermot Crowley, an Irish actor, and he brought the story to life for me!

Noel (Noe) is a young man who goes to live with his grandparents (Ganga and Doady) in Faha, a small village on the western coast of Ireland in County Clare.  The story is told through his eyes, looking back as an old man at the magical time he spent in Faha.  We experience the people and the pace of small town life.  Electricity is coming to Faha, and Christy is one of the workers sent to help the residents sign up.  He rents a room from Ganga and Doady, and consequently he and Noe end of spending a lot of time together over the months.  They share love, loss, music, pubs and much more.  

I finished this book a week ago, but I am still thinking about the story, the language, its beauty and Faha.  Highly recommended, especially the audio version!  Please read the other Goodreads reviews; they are much better at describing the language, the setting, and the way that this book made me feel!

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...