The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, July 19, 2024

Book Review: Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson

Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Bill Bryson continues to write about his travels, this time traveling alone across Europe.  The book chapters are arranged by cities and countries, and he definitely explores the entire continent from the northernmost point in Norway to Istanbul. 

I originally listened to the audio of this book in 2002, but read it again (alternating between audio and Kindle) for this month's book club.  He narrates the book himself and has a charming accent which is a fusion between Midwestern U.S. and British.  The book was originally published in 1991, but it still stands the test of time today.  I have to admit that I frequently laughed out loud while reading this book.  Bryson is definitely the funniest and most entertaining travel writer I have encountered!

It would have helped immensely to have a map of his travels included in the book.  I kept referring to Google Maps to remind me of the European geography.  

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...