The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Book Review: The Kingdoms of Savannah by George Dawes Green

The Kingdoms of Savannah The Kingdoms of Savannah by George Dawes Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an absolutely fascinating and compelling family saga combined with a mystery along with a large dose of Savannah history thrown in! 

I knew virtually nothing about Savannah or its history prior to reading this book.  The author does an incredible job of placing the reader smack dab in the middle of the town.  I certainly got a feel for the heat, humidity, colorful characters, Southern charm as well as deceit, slavery backstory, and the 'haves' and 'have-nots' of Savannah society including the large homeless population.  

I appreciated the extensive content contained in the Book Discussion Guide on the publisher's website.  It contained an extensive cast of characters, a map of Savannah locations, an interview with the author, discussion questions, and even recipes for book club drink pairings!
https://celadonbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/BookClubKit_KingdomsofSavannah-TP.pdf

I read this for one of my book clubs and it was a very lively discussion!

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...