The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Book Review: The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel

The Glass Hotel

The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a tough book to read, to describe, and to categorize.  I was trying to decide between 4 and 5 stars, but when I realized that it's been three weeks since I finished reading it and I'm STILL thinking about it, that bumped it up to 5 stars.  I have to admire the construction of the book and to be honest, it would be interesting to re-read it knowing the story line.  I tend to like linear storytelling, which this definitely is not.  The plot jumps from person to person at the beginning, characters come and go, only to reappear later in the book, and the reader isn't sure exactly who the main character is or what the plot is supposed to be.  I read this for book club, and the discussion was lively and varied.  It's a perfect book club selection since you'll definitely want to talk about this book after you finish it.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...