The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Book Review: Heartburn by Nora Ephron

Heartburn Heartburn by Nora Ephron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have been a long-time fan of everything that Nora Ephron creates (books, blogs, movies) and am reading my way through the compilation of her work, The Most of Nora Ephron.  As I read her words, I can hear her voice in my head -- a rare occurrence which happens with only a couple of authors (Anthony Bourdain being another one).  This is the fictionalized novella of the breakup of her marriage to Carl Bernstein.  Somehow she makes it laugh-out-loud hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time.  Because the main character is a food writer, she intersperses humorous recipes which are so vague that the reader wonders how they would ever turn out edible.  The book reads more like a monologue than a novel, but still...it's a Nora Ephron monologue.  Oh, Nora, we miss you so!

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...