The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Book Review: The Cloisters by Katy Hays

The Cloisters The Cloisters by Katy Hays
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow!  I'm still thinking about this book a month after I've finished it.  Anne moves across the country to become a summer intern at the Met.  Due to a last-minute snafu, that position is not available but instead she works at The Cloisters, a branch of the Met near Harlem which deals with medieval antiquities, art and architecture.  Ann becomes fast friends with her co-worker Rachel, but how much can she trust her?  Mysterious things happen at work, and the dark side of academia is uncovered.  This novel definitely gives you a sense of place, transporting you to a stifling hot NYC summer and the cool interiors of The Cloisters.  There's a lot in this novel that is in my wheelhouse:  art, art history, NYC, The Cloisters, museums, mysteries, friendship.  There's even a touch of magical realism and tarot cards thrown in.  This book grabs you and pulls you in, and I was turning the pages quickly to find out what happens next.  Looking forward to Katy Hays' next book!

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...