The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Book Review: The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams

The Dictionary of Lost Words The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fascinating historical fiction book about the compilation of The Oxford English Dictionary. It follows Esme, a young girl whose father is one of the Dictionary's lexicographers. The book covers the period of 1886 (when Esme was just 4 years old) to 1928 when the last volume as finally published. This book appeals to the librarian is me, particularly the detailed descriptions of how the words are selected, researched and finally approved for inclusion.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...