The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Book Review: Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing by Matthew Perry

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing by Matthew Perry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a very difficult book to read.  And I'm sure that Matthew Perry found that it was a very difficult book to write as well.  The thought that kept running through my mind was "How can he still be alive?!?"  He candidly talks about his repeated stays at rehab facilities, detoxing, his alcoholism, his dependence upon pain killers and prescriptions drugs, health problems, surgeries, his repeated recoveries, and more stays in rehab.  The book is not told in linear fashion; he jumps around in time and events, and I kept getting confused.  To be honest, it's almost like he started talking and recording the story of his life in a stream-of-consciousness fashion, and no one bothered to edit it during the transcription to print.  I have to give him credit for pulling through all his hardships, and wish him the best in the future hoping that he will ultimately find what he is searching for in life.  

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...