The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Book Review: My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan

My Oxford Year

My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Julia Whelan writes fantastic dialogue, plus creates an incredible sense of place (Oxford).  Ella Durran arrives in Oxford to spend a year as a Rhodes scholar studying English Literature from 1830-1914.  We immediately fall in love with her as she struggles with her luggage, tries to find her room, and locate something to eat - all while being very jet-lagged.  She immediately makes several friends who provide comedic fodder and support throughout the book.  She starts dating one of her professors who is extremely charming and good looking - a "friends with benefits" only situation.  Their relationship is going swimmingly until they encounter a serious challenge.  Together they work to overcome it but Ella has to decide whether she stays in England or returns to the States at the end of her Oxford year.  Julia Whelan may be best known for her audio narrations, and I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to listen to her narration of her own book.

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...