The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Sunday, May 14, 2023

Book Review: Happy Place by Emily Henry

Happy Place Happy Place by Emily Henry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

(3 1/2 stars) - I read this book several weeks ago, and purposely held off writing the review in order to have my feelings about it 'simmer.'  I'm definitely an Emily Henry fan and have read three of her books in the past couple of months (People we meet on vacation, Beach read, and Book lovers).  I was really looking forward to her latest book, but was a little disappointed.

The premise is very compelling - Harriet and Wyn have been together for ten years and are engaged.  Every year they meet two other couples and spend a week in a beach house mansion in Maine.  These are long-term friends who met in college and have an incredible closeness.  However, Harriet has not told them that she and Wyn have broken up. 

Once again there is a non-linear timeline, with chapters alternating between the past ("Real Life" back story) and present ("Happy Place").  And Emily Henry is a master of writing excellent dialog.  This was a very emotional read for me, and the book is full of grief, trauma and missed opportunities.   I was hoping for something a little lighter and more uplifting for this summer read.

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...