The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Book Review: The Searcher by Tana French

The Searcher

The Searcher by Tana French
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of Tana French's two stand-alone books.  I read all six of her Dublin Murder Squad books and thoroughly enjoyed them.  This book is very different in pace, tone, character, and plot from that series.  Cal Hooper is a retired Chicago police officer who wants to get a fresh start -- he is recently divorced and his adult daughter lives in Seattle.  He buys a run-down cottage and moves to a very small village on the western coast of Ireland.  A local 12-year old whose brother has gone missing befriends Cal and asks for his assistance in finding out what happened to him.  The plot and characters build very slowly but before I knew it I was invested in Cal and the village life.  The writing is exactly what I would expect of Tana French -- very descriptive with a strong sense of place. 

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...