The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Sunday, September 10, 2023

Book Review: One Good Deed (Archer #1) by David Baldacci

One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the first in a new series by David Baldacci.  Aloysius Archer served in WWII, then went to prison for a crime he didn't commit.  After his release he is sent to Oklahoma where he still stay for three years, reporting to his parole officer.  A murder is committed and at once he is suspected, based on his criminal background.  The rest of the book is Archer working to clear his name and help solve multiple murders and mysteries.  He's a detective wanna-be, so I have a feeling this is the direction that the series will take in upcoming books. 

I'm giving this book 3.5 stars because Archer is an interesting character and his situation is unique.  And I definitely got a feel for what life was life in 1949.  And to be honest, Archer reminds me a lot of Reacher -- loner, homeless, coming to the aid of people in need, etc.  Even his physical description is similar to Lee Child's Reacher - 6'1" and all muscle.  

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...