The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Review: Come and Get It

Come and Get It Come and Get It by Kiley Reid
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is Kiley Reid's second novel, and after reading her first (Such a Fun Age, published in 2019), I was really looking forward to this one.  However, I was a little disappointed.

This book is set in a dormitory at University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.  There is quite a large cast of characters, but the story primarily focuses on Millie (an RA at the dorm), Agatha (an English professor at the college), and five of the students in the dorm.  The novel is character-driven rather than plot-driven, and deals with the subjects of racism, LGBTQ, social inequities, financial goals, and student priorities.  I think this book might be better appreciated by those readers in the 20s who can identify with many of the characters.  

After her first book was published, I heard Kiley Reid speak at the Literati Bookstore in Ann Arbor and was very impressed.  Since then she has become an Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan English Language & Literature Department.  I will definitely be looking forward to her next book in hopes that it is more consistent with the writing of her first book.  

Many thanks to NetGalley for an advanced reader copy. The book is due to be published January 9, 2024

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...