The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, January 12, 2024

Book Review: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot #4)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was a huge Agatha Christie fan when I was a teenager, and read many of her books including this one. I always remember this as one of her unique books, and I was anxious to re-read it for an upcoming book club. Needless to say, it has survived the test of time. It's also the kind of book that I want to start re-reading immediately after finishing it just to examine the clues and see the structure.

As often happens in small English country villages, there are a number of suspicious deaths and murders. The local doctor, James Sheppard, is the narrator of the story and he is assisted by Hercule Poirot who has just retired and moved in next door. We follow along as they discover clues, interview individuals, and of course Hercule Poirot solves the crime in the end.

This is the sixth book that she has written, and her fourth Hercule Poirot novel. It is also the book which catapulted her to fame. The British Crime Writers' Association voted it the Best Crime Novel ever in 2013. I absolutely love the 1st edition cover of this book from 1926 - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/The_Murder_of_Roger_Ackroyd_First_Edition_Cover_1926.jpg/220px-The_Murder_of_Roger_Ackroyd_First_Edition_Cover_1926.jpg

I read the Kindle version of the book which contains quite a bit of bonus content: A Forward by James Prichard (the great grandson of Agatha Christie); An Introduction by Louise Penny; a letter from Agatha Christie to her publisher; Poirot's Favorite Cases; and Creating Poirot (both written by Agatha Christie herself!). I would definitely recommend getting your hands on the Kindle version in order to read these wonderful documents!

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...