The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Book Review: Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz (Susan Ryeland #1)

Magpie Murders Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A wonderful murder mystery set in a small English village in 1955, it is definitely reminiscent of Agatha Christie's style and detective Hercule Poirot.

This is actually a story within a story.  There's the 1955 murder mystery, along with the subsequent story of Susan Ryeland, the editor who will be publishing the book in present day.  The structure of the book is so intriguing!  I'm not going to divulge much of the plot in order to avoid spoilers, but suffice is to say that you should just buckle your seat belt and go along for the fantastic ride!  It kept me guessing until the final pages.  I'm looking forward to the second book in this series - Moonflower Murders.  

Reader be aware:  It is sometimes difficult to follow the multiple characters and to figure out whether I was reading about the 1955 events or the present day characters and events.  I read the Kindle version, but ended up checking out the print book from the library so I could go back and re-read certain sections.  There's also an audio version of this book, but I can't imagine trying to keep everything straight while listening to the stories.  

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...