The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Book Review: Emma by Jane Austen

Emma Emma by Jane Austen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wanted to read a traditional classic novel this winter, when I knew I had more time for reading.  I started reading Emma right after Christmas but set it aside several times.  Winter in Michigan can be unpredictable, but I finally realized that I'd better get going if I wanted to finish it before gardening season!

I'm a fairly fast reader, but the language and characters forced me to slow down and appreciate the social mores and conventions of Austen's day.  I read a couple of essays on how to approach and read Austen, and I have to admit that they were very helpful.  I would highly recommend the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition which celebrates the 200th anniversary of the original publication.   Juliet Wells (Goucher College) writes a reader's guide, along with information on alternate spellings and definitions of words.  She also includes quite a few essays about the aspects of the cultural context:  dancing, dining, politics, etc..  I read it on my Kindle and this edition was available from my local public library through Libby.   

I've read most of Jane Austen's books and thought that I had already read this one, but I guess I never did.  I have fond memories of the Gwyneth Paltrow / Jeremy Northam movie and plan to re-watch it very soon.  Also on my to-be-viewed list is the Anya Taylor-Joy movie version and the Jonny Lee Miller mini-series.

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...