The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, April 26, 2024

Book Review: A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #7)

A Trick of the Light A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In my opinion, Louise Penny's books just keep getting better and better as her series progresses.  I'm a little obsessive in that I always read a series in order of publication, so I've read all six of her previous books.  At this point, I am inclined to rush through the rest of the series (a total of 18 at this point, with another one to be published later in 2024).  But I have to force myself to pace my reading, in order to make the joy of Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and the Three Pines residents last!

Clara Morrow is preparing for her one-person show at the Musee d'Art Contemporain in Montreal.  There's an after-party in Three Pines after the opening, and a woman is found dead the following morning -- murdered in Clara and Peter's garden.  Enter Chief Inspector Gamache and Inspector Jean Guy Beauvoir to talk to the Three Pines residents, do their typical deep dive into the scenario, and ultimately determine the killer.  

This book has everything that I look for in a mystery series -- mystery, intrigue, smart characters, wonderful setting, beautiful descriptions, and more.  We are immersed in the art field - curators, museums, agents, gallery owners, and terminology.  I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series!

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...