The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Book Review: At My Italian Table: Family Recipes from My Cucina to Yours: A Cookbook by Laura Vitale

At My Italian Table: Family Recipes from My Cucina to Yours: A Cookbook At My Italian Table: Family Recipes from My Cucina to Yours: A Cookbook by Laura Vitale
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Laura Vitale's second cookbook is a love letter to her Nonna and all the other Italian relatives who provided recipes and ideas for this book. She grew up in Naples, but moved to the United States when she was 12 to live with her father. She was desperately homesick for all her relatives and her life in Italy. She was talking to nonna on the phone, explaining her longing for her cooking, when nonna told her to make the "Sunday sauce" and gave her the recipe. Thus began her love of cooking.

The book is divided into 5 sections: Before Dinner Snacking, Quick & Easy Mains (my fave!), An Italian Sunday, Seriously Good Vegetable Sides & Salads, and Sweet Endings. The recipes run the gamut from quick and easy to those you make when you have the luxury of time (Sunday suppers). Typically the recipes are no-nonsense without fuss and obscure ingredients, which is right up my alley.

This book is highly recommended, and I'm anxious to get my hands on her other cookbook, Laura in the Kitchen, published in 2015. And also to view Cooking Channel and YouTube shows!

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...