The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, June 14, 2024

Book Review: The Mystery Writer by Sulari Gentill

The Mystery Writer The Mystery Writer by Sulari Gentill
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Last year I read Sulari Gentill's The Woman in the Library, which I absolutely loved!  It started with a murder in the Boston Public Library, and I couldn't turn the pages quickly enough to find out what happened!

This book deals with Theo, a law school dropout who moves from Australia to Lawrence, Kansas to stay with her brother Gus, a lawyer.  She decides to focus on writing a novel instead and immerses herself in the literary community.  There's a murder, actually several murders, of people she has come in contact with.  

The plot is fast-paced, but I didn't think it was nearly as compelling as the previous book.  I really couldn't identify with Theo.  She was very impulsive and made a lot of poor choices and decisions.  Luckily Gus and his co-worker Mac were there to keep bailing her out of trouble, and I loved their camaraderie.  The story surrounds conspiracy theories and also focuses quite a bit on guns, gun ownership and gun violence.  My suggestion would be to read The Woman in the Library instead. 

Thanks to NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for this advanced reader copy.  

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this book for my summer boo...