The Good Reader Blog

The Good Reader Blog
Source of the painting - Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914

Friday, June 28, 2024

Book Review: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

The Great Alone The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The setting is Alaska in 1974.  Ernt, Cora and their 13 year-old daughter move from Seattle to a small rural town in Alaska to start a new life.  It covers their lives for the next twelve years, and we get a very detailed look at how difficult that life can be for many different reasons.  I learned so much about what it takes to survive in wilderness Alaska, especially this family who was living on the very edge of survival - no electricity or indoor plumbing.  This was a very tough book to read in terms of the number of serious subjects addressed.  Be sure to check GoodReads reviews or the book Q&A if you are concerned about certain subjects. 

This is the first book that I've read by Kristin Hannah but you can be sure that I'll definitely be reading more of her work!  I read this for an upcoming book club meeting and am very interested to discuss it with others.  

Read more of my reviews at https://thegoodreader13.blogspot.com/.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Secret by Lee Child (Jack Reacher #28)

The Secret by Lee Child My rating: 4 of 5 stars Jack Reacher is back and assigned to the task for...